Healthcare Services

As a regional health hub with strategic industry networks and the need to care for its own ageing population, Singapore has much to offer for dedicated and passionate professionals aspiring to practice in a world-class healthcare system.


Check out our Job Portal for jobs in Singapore's Healthcare Services industry

Find out more


Healthcare in Singapore

Within a relatively short period of 50 years, Singapore has made significant progress and continues to work towards providing healthcare services that are affordable, accessible and of good quality. As of 2015, there are a total of 26 hospitals and specialty centres in Singapore, 16 of which are from the public sector and 10 from the private sector. 

Primary healthcare services are provided by 18 government polyclinics and about 1,500 private medical clinics. There are also intermediate and long term care services, which we are increasing in quantity and quality to better meet the demands of our ageing population. 

Going forward, we will also be investing more upstream in the areas of health promotion and active ageing, so as to ensure that the population continues to live well, live long, and with peace of mind.

Singapore's public healthcare system features an integrated care model, with six regional healthcare clusters. Each cluster is anchored by an acute hospital working alongside a variety of primary, intermediate and long-term care providers and support services to deliver patient-centric care. 

The six public healthcare clusters are:

  • Alexandra Health System (anchored by Khoo Teck Puat Hospital in the North)
  • Eastern Health Alliance (anchored by Changi General Hospital in the East)
  • National Healthcare Group (anchored by Tan Tock Seng Hospital in the Central)
  • National University Health System (anchored by National University Hospital)
  • Jurong Health (anchored by Ng Teng Fong General Hospital in the West)
  • Singapore Health Services  (anchored by Singapore General Hospital)

There are large private healthcare services providers in Singapore as well, including AsiaMedic, Johns Hopkins Singapore International Medical Centre, Pacific Healthcare, Parkway Group, Raffles Medical Group and Thomson Medical Centre.

About 80% of hospital care in Singapore is provided by the public hospitals, with private hospitals providing the remaining 20%. Private practitioners meet 80% of the nation’s primary healthcare needs, while polyclinics provide for the remaining 20%. There are also community hospitals for intermediate healthcare for the convalescent sick and aged who do not require the care of the general hospitals.

Healthcare Manpower in Singapore 

As at 2014, Singapore’s healthcare services industry had more than 50,000 practising registered healthcare professionals – doctors, nurses, dentists, pharmacists and allied health professionals. Approximately 70% work in the public sector, while the remaining 30% are in the private sector. 

As Singapore continues to grow its pipeline of local healthcare professionals, we also recruit overseas-trained Singaporean healthcare professionals and other foreign professionals to contribute to providing affordable and excellent care for patients. There are employment opportunities for overseas-trained professionals in diverse healthcare institutions such as acute hospitals, community hospitals, polyclinics, home care and long term residential care facilities.

Doctors 

Doctors practising in Singapore must hold a degree from a university specified in the Second Schedule of the Medical Registration Act (MRA) or a registrable postgraduate medical qualification recognised by the Singapore Medical Council (SMC) or exit specialist qualification recognised for specialist accreditation by the Specialists Accreditation Board (SAB), Singapore. 

Please visit the Singapore Medical Council (SMC) at www.smc.gov.sg to find out more about becoming a registered doctor or specialist in Singapore and to view the list of recognised universities by the SMC. For obtaining Specialist Accreditation in Singapore, please visit www.healthprofessionals.gov.sg/sab.

Nurses

Under the Nurses and Midwives Act (Chapter 209), a person must be registered/enrolled with the Singapore Nursing Board (SNB) and possess a valid Practising Certificate (PC) in order to practise nursing/midwifery in Singapore. 

Please visit the Singapore Nursing Board (SNB) website at www.snb.gov.sg to find out more about becoming a registered nursing professional in Singapore.

Allied Health Professionals

Allied Health Professionals (AHPs) are an integral part of the healthcare team, working alongside with doctors and nurses to provide quality care to patients. Some of the allied health positions in demand include: 

  • Diagnostic Radiographer
  • Medical Social Worker
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Physiotherapist
  • Speech Therapist

Please visit the Allied Health Professions Council (AHPC) website at www.ahpc.gov.sg to find out more about becoming a registered allied health professional in Singapore and to view the list of universities recognised by the AHPC. 

Read more about Singapore healthcare industry here or visit the Ministry of Health website.

Click here to view the latest copy of Careers@Singapore eDM for the healthcare services industry.

Visit the Contact Singapore Job Portal to explore positions offered by Singapore-based companies in your choice industry(s). You will also receive regular updates on the industry as well as upcoming Contact Singapore events. Log on to www.contactsingapore.sg/jobs now!

 

 

 

Success Stories

Cheang Lai Ye

Malaysia
Pharmacist
Singapore General Hopsital
I have developed by leaps and bounds in my profession.
Read Story

Shin You Chan

Korea
Medical Officer
Singapore General Hospital
Singapore is very supportive and welcoming of scientists.
Read Story